Monday, August 07, 2006

Pandora

pic of my current guitar

When people ask me what music I like, I'm always at a complete loss about how to describe my tastes accurately. Music is so vast and prevalent and my tastes are eclectic. I don’t necessary like a particular genre - just certain types of songs from there and I may hate another set of songs from the same genre. I may like Aerosmith, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like Guns n Roses. Coldplay is easy on my ears and so is Enrique Inglesias. Lately I've been listening to music on pandora.com. Pandora basically helps you to find music you like by analyzing certain details from music you already like and matching it with other music in its database. As a side-effect, I'm beginning to see common strains in the music that I listen too. For example, I like 'subtle use of vocal harmony', 'major key tonality' and 'electric guitar riffs' (Whoa!). I also dig 'mild rhythmic syncopation', 'electric instrumentation' and 'a clear focus on recording studio production' (who would have guessed!). So now I know how to describe my musical tastes and if I sound like a music snob what the heck :-) !!

No comments: